1. What is an e-certificate?
E-certificates include the same content as traditional paper certificates with security like a electronic signature to prevent edits and a link to a secure web site. This is accessible through QR code, URL for the verification of certificates authenticity and validity.
2. What are the advantages of e-certificate?
The advantages of e-certificate are as follows :
- Reduces administrative burdens, time and costs. (shipping / printing / scanning / archiving)
- The latest certificates are always accessible and downloadable through our web site KR e-Fleet and easily shared with stakeholders at anytime, anywhere.
- Avoid loss or damage of original paper certificates.
- Minimizing issues from certificate by PSC (Lack of Seal, Endorsement, Missing paper, etc.)
3. Are e-certificates secure?
E-certificates are more secure than paper certificates and reduce the risk of falsification. With the electronic signature which certified by KR and a third party, there can be no manual change, and any attempt to modify a certificate will make the e-certificate invalid.
And the online server provides safe and secure Internet access to confirm validity and downloading e-Certificates.
4. How can we get a e-certificate from traditional paper certificate?
Only if the vessel which can issue the e-certificate by flag acceptance, KR will start issuing class and statutory e-certificates without any application at the first annual, intermediate or renewal survey after 1 December 2018. Electronic certificates will also be issued for new vessels delivered after the date.
5. When will the e-certificates be issued?
Only if the vessel which can issue the e-certificate by flag acceptance, Normally at the first annual, intermediate or renewal survey after 1 December 2018. For vessels at the first upcoming periodical audit or inspection. Electronic certificates will also be issued for new vessels delivered after the date.
6. Which flag states have accepted for e-certificates?
We, KR is currently authorized to issue electronic certificates on behalf of the flag state administrations listed on the following page. ☞ Flag acceptance status
This list will be updated as authorizations are granted in the future.
7. Which certificates can be issued as e-certificates?
All kind of Classification Certificates and Statutory Certificates (ILL, SOLAS, MARPOL, ISM, ISPS, MLC, etc.) which were issuing on behalf of the flag states.
8. How can I get, access and use electronic certificates?
Endorsed and electronically signed latest certificates are always updated and available in our web site KR e-fleet.
You can access and download all kind of issued e-certificates without limit number of times through KR e-Fleet at anytime, anywhere.
But, While the ship stay ashore, we kindly recommend you to download latest e-certificates and keep them onboard to prepare no Internet access available.
9. How can I get KR e-Fleet ID?
Please contact to KR Class register and record Team (email@example.com) to get KR e-Fleet ID and Password.
10. How do I know when a certificate is endorsed and (re)issued electronically?
After all kind of survey, we will provide a notice through designated e-mail address automatically. You can find the latest issued or endorsed certificate through KR e-Fleet.
11. How can the status of the e-certificates be verified?
All certificates in electronic formats to which a ship may have an access through KR e-Fleet are deemed to be valid. And externals take holders can verify the status and validity of the certificates through online at the following Verification Site using the Tracking Number with certificate number or QR code on the certificate.
※ You can access the verification web site the listed below to confirm the Validation of the E-certificate. ☞ e-Certificate Verification
12. How do you certify the validity of a printed out e-certificate?
You can confirm the validity of the e-certificate on The ☞ e-certificate VerificationFor this purpose, You need internet access.
13. In cases where there is no Internet connection onboard, how do you confirm the validity of e-certificate?
Please open the latest e-certificate(electronic files). You can find a *electronic signature with not tampered which has been issued by KR on the top of the e-Certificate. Preparing traditional printed out e-certificates is recommended in such cases.
* The electronic signature will only appear when the electronic file (PDF) is opened using a computer not a mobile device like a smartphone, tablet.
14. I cannot find the electronic signature on e-certificate.
The electronic signature will only appear when the electronic file (PDF) is opened using a computer not a mobile device like a smartphone, tablet.
If you can not find the electronic signature on the e-Cert by PC or have a problem about setting of the adobe program like a change the Adobe program language setting, please refer to the "Manual of Adobe Reader Setting for e-Cert".
15. Can e-certificates be lost or damaged?
E-certificates reduce the risk of loss as well as the risk of damage and late issuance or delivery.
In case of paper certificates, there is only one original copy considered valid, which must be on board the vessel.
On the other hand, e-certificates are always available with secure through our web site KR e-Fleet by using any device like a PC, smartphone or tablet at anytime, anywhere.
16. I can't figure out which e-certificate (electronic file) is the latest.
You can download the latest e-certificates from the web site KR e-Fleet.
Please download e-Certificate (electronic files) and keep them on board.
17. What is the printed out e-certificate?
The printed out e-certificate is a printed paper copy of an e-certificate and should be kept on board.
It is used for endorsement after completion of Survey, or for showing to a third party (ex. Port Authorities)
18. Why does an e-certificate recommend to be printed out and kept on board?
The reasons a printed out e-certificates are recommended are as follows:
(1) When cannot make the endorsement by digitally signing on the electronic certificates after completion of the periodical survey, Surveyor can make his/her endorsement on the printed out e-certificates.
(2) Use of electronic certificates are not yet fully recognized by all ports and countries. e-certificates may not in some cases be accepted by maritime authorities and PSC officers. Therefore, You are kindly recommended to print out e-certificate and keep them on board.
19. What type of paper should I use to print out for e-certificates, What about the ink color?
Any type of paper and ink color can be used.
(Printed out e-certificates don’t need to be printed out on paper showing the KR’s water mark and don’t need to use sealing sticker which showing the KR’s symbol.)
20. What about acceptance by port authorities?
KR has informed and received acceptance for e-certificates from many major flag states,
We assume that other flag states will follow in the near future and agree to accept use of certificates.
In addition, pilot project with customer has been run trading in different geographical zones with the objective to gain experience with e-certificates on the owners’ work process, port clearance and stakeholder acceptance.
Results are very positive and vessels issued with digitally signed e-certificates have successfully been through close to many port state inspections worldwide in 4 months since the start off the pilot test.
No negative experience has been reported on the e-certificates. But, e-Certificates may not in some cases be accepted by maritime authorities and PSC officers.
Preparing printed out electronic certificate is recommended and keep the instruction of e-certificate, Declaration Letter which issued by KR and flag state to show to PSCO in such cases.
21. How is endorsement after completion of periodical survey applied to an e-certificate?
Our attending surveyor will make his/her endorsement on the printed out e-certificates or make the endorsement by digitally signing on the electronic certificates after completion of the periodical survey. After the report completion of the survey, we will provide a notice through designated e-mail address automatically.
You can find the latest issued or endorsed certificate through KR e-Fleet.
Please download updated e-certificate (electronic files) and keep them on board instead of previous Certificate.
22. What about issuing a revised e-certificate?
When the details contained on an e-certificate need to be changed, Our surveyor will re-issue the revised certificates.
In such cases, the previous e-certificate will become invalid, You are kindly recommended that download updated e-certificate (electronic files) and keep them on board instead of previous Certificate.